Thursday, May 24, 2012

An Important Lesson

Today I learnt a pretty big lesson on calories and nutrition.
Just because 2 things have the same calorie count does not mean that they are equal.
My carefully planned afternoon was put to the test when my well meaning boss bought a 1kg bag of red frogs into the office (knowing that they are my FAVORITE lollies in the whole wide world) as a reward for our work. The will power side of my brain straight away said hell no I am not eating any of those! The weak part of my brain that likes lollies straight away went to my fitness pal tracker to see what I could juggle to have a few of those delicious little froggies. Now in the past I have been known to inhale a whole bag of red frogs within a 10minute period. I LOVE lollies. I USED to love lollies. Did you know that each little red frog is worth 34 calories? 34 calories I hear you say, Big Deal? I was honest with myself and estimated that I would realistically eat 10 frogs if I started. That is 340 calories worth.... a whole meals worth of red frogs! Even if I tried to fool myself into thinking I would only eat 5 it was still over 150 calories worth. I looked at what I had tracked and planned and sitting in the fridge waiting for me for my afternoon tea. 100g vaalia yoghurt and 125g of peaches slices in juice for a grand total of 163 calories.
I started to think about the delicious creamy yoghurt and the sweet juicy peaches. The weirdest thing happened. I actually started to crave my planned afternoon tea. I actually wanted it over the frogs. I knew the frogs would leave me hungry and probably give me a sugar rush that I would come crashing down from. They were empty calories offering nothing in the way of nutrition. I would get calcium & protein from the yoghurt not to mention the healthy bacteria to keep my tummy happy. The peaches will provide me with vitamins A & C as well as fibre. They also provided a sugar hit although much closer to its natural form that red frogs! I started to think about the way I would feel after I ate my planned afternoon tea & I knew I would feel happy, energised and satisfied. I made the right choice & I am so happy that I am at that point in my weight loss where I can remove myself from the temptation enough to evaluate if I really want it & how it will make me feel. I hope that this lesson is one that will stay with me in times of weakness.

2 comments:

  1. hey Aimee, I did a similar thing the other weekend. We were driving north, and car-trips usually entail at least one stop-off at Maccas. My OH wanted to get lunch there, and I was fully intending to have something too. Then I imagined the aftertaste - the burping of the Maccas flavours that always happens afterwards. It turned me off so much that I walked for an extra 10minutes from the local maccas to a cafe and bought a yummy roll for lunch. High 5 to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! It is so hard to resist when every one else is having something. :)

    ReplyDelete